By Jeff Probst
Custom Posts Custom Custom
This is Jay's Final Tribal Council Thread.

All other Jurors should remain in their own threads. Final 3, remember... this is not for you to address each other, but to talk to Jay. In-fighting amongst the Final 3 should be reserved for the reunion on Monday.

Jay, you have until Saturday at 8c/9e to post your statements/questions to the Final 3. Remember not to take up too much of their time as they have 10 other jurors to get to. Please no listing or questions requiring novels for answers. You should post all of your statements/questions in your opening post in this thread.

Jeff Probst

• Host
  • Awards: Custom Posts Custom Custom
By Jay
G'day Bret, Shirin and Wendell,

Congratulations on making it to the final 3! You've done what 37 others couldn't and for that, you should be proud. I've enjoyed getting to know you guys, and although frustrating at times, you've all had your moments.

I'll go through what I'm gonna do here, I'm just gonna say a paragraph or so about my impressions of the games each of you played. I do not expect you to respond to these, just merely let you see my impressions so that might guide your answer here, and perhaps in other threads. And then I'll ask a question, which you can answer in as much or as little detail as you like.

Bret

First of all, Bret. This may seem harsh, but from my point of view, your style of play always seemed a bit..cowardly? You'd always be 'on board' to make a move, but then when push comes to shove, you wouldn't enact it and then when people came back to you after the vote saying why did this fall through, you always had some obviously transparent bullshit that just severely damaged your reputation within the game. I'll give you a couple of examples. Firstly, ALL the way back on og zakros, when Michaela got voted out. Now I KNEW that you wanted me out that vote but not because 'yOu FeLt At ThE bOtToM' and attempted, very much transparently so, to claim 'the girls made you feel you were at the bottom', the girls alluding to Michaela and Rachel. But I knew the real reason was because you saw me and Jess running table, you wanted us to shut up shop, you wanted to take power and so you got bigmoveitis. I get it. BUT, you never took ownership. Because you were playing scared, and you didn't get the read on me that, I would've been so much more forgiving if you had just explained the situation properly. But because you didn't, that stuck with me the whole game, and it's the reason why, I'm sure you were aware, or maybe not given your omission of the topic from your speech, your name was up for grabs at the merge vote, if it wasn't for some strong gameplay on some of the Rhodes players end. I'll point to another part of the game. The final 9 vote. You came and told me that Wendell and Jacob were gunning for me at 8. Great, you're actively revealing information. And what's more, it was a lie, and a pretty good lie because it was believable to me, based on their position and my position in the game. So that was good gameplay on your part. What followed, not so much. If you revealed that information, why would you not have the intention to go after Wendell, it doesn't make sense to me. And if you say 'you wanted to turn us against each other', that actually lacks awareness of threat levels within the game, since they WOULD have come for me, and I would've come for them, probably at that same vote, because I knew that I wasn't well-positioned at that moment and I needed to reposition. So you voted out Rachel, and then came to me with the excuse of 'b-b-b-but Rachel told me she'd go after you if I helped her by voting Wendell'. Again, clearly and transparently bullshit, and again, not owning your moves. Which has left a lot of the jury with a bitter taste in its mouth. To me, it seems you've followed Wendell throughout the mid to late game. Note the final 6 vote. In order to have the best chance of winning a final 3, by the time of the f7, you needed myself, Erika, Wendell and Lindsey out. But, at the final 6, you voted out Jacob?? Who was arguably the most beneficial player to your game at that point, considering he could beat myself and Wendell in challenges. So my question to you is, please help to clarify to me and the jury, why you feel like lies helped you in the game and why you feel they were necessary?

Shirin

Shirin we haven't actually managed to play together that much. Mostly because you weren't online that often, but given life circumstances I won't hold that against you. When we were talking, and I told you this, I did find you to be fairly likeable. I also think you had solid reads at times. Note the bold there because there were other times when you had poor reads. I'll highlight a good read you had, not going along with the Wendell plan at the final 8 because you called my bluff. That was a strong read, I feel, and you explained that well, to me. A poor read, however, I feel you made, was at the final 6 in going along with the plan to vote out Jacob. Your strongest chance at winning a final 3 by the final 7 was sitting next to Jacob and Bret. But, you decided to go with Wendell and Bret, with Wendell being a much larger figurehead than Jacob jury wise. So your decision there was baffling to the majority of the jury, particularly allowing the splitting of votes onto Bret, another player who needed to sit next you at the final 3. These aren't the only issues. Whilst you always came off as approachable and adaptable throughout the game, which I do think is a benefit to your game, a CRITICAL flaw in the eyes of the jury is that you were never proactive in these decisions. You were always the one being approached with moves but never actively brought up ideas, at least to my knowledge. That was a critical flaw to many people here, and I want to give you the opportunity to set the record straight on that point. Explain times in the game when you proactively and decisively brought up your own strategic ideas to set up a vote or a move that helped your game. If you have multiple, you can explain them all if you want.

Wendell

I knew you would make it here. Even during the 12 player Crete merge, I thought you were the player best positioned to make the end and win. And as time went on it just became more and more apparent how well-positioned you were and how active you were in making that happen. You were making deals to cover your ass left, right and centre. I am simply so impressed by your game and your ability to manage relationships. However, my vote is still up for grabs despite all these aspects. Others have made the comment that you've been arrogant, however I don't really see that from my perspective. I will say it can appear that your game appeared a little safe at points, and a little too pushy at points, regarding the final 10. However, I do think you made all the right strategic decisions for your game AND you owned them. The one slip-up I really do think you made strategically is at the final 7. I always look at the game as if everyone is playing optimally, right. Final 7, you vote out Lindsey. OPTIMAL scenario for Bret, Shirin and Jacob is for all 3 of them to go to 3. Bret also has the public idol, and so really, the decision to cut Lindsey at 7 almost bit you in the butt was it not for the poor reads of the people sitting beside you. So I will ask you this, how did you account for people playing optimally or non-optimally for themselves within the game? At any stage.

I know these questions are tough, and some of these reads are hard to hear, but KEEP FIGHTING!! Appreciate the three of you, looking forward to shooting the shit post season. 
Taylor, Jessica liked this

Jay

• Jury
  • Awards: Posts
By Wendell
Hey Jay! Thanks for your words and I appreciate how much effort and thought you put into your questions, the same energy and involvement were felt all throughout the season(s) and I think you played a killer game! I addressed the F7 in my speech but I'll elaborate more-
I agree 100%. The optimal play here was to keep Lindsey for just one more vote since if we look at it as 3 goliaths on one side, 3 goats on the other with an idol, and me in the middle, of course I need to stick with the goliaths. It wasn't an emotional decision like I tried labeling it when talking to you in-game- I think my move at F8 proved that I was more fluid than that and was adaptable and flexible with my game to better my position all the time- I just didn't read the map as being 3 vs 3. My read was that Shirin was loyal to me more than anyone, and her knowing about everything that happened at F8, going along with the plan, and executing her part of it perfectly, proved to me that she is with me to the end or at least the F4. With my original path planned (with you going after Lindsey), All the power was in Shirin's hands at F5, and I trusted her to stick with me even then. When Jacob won F7 immunity I was not about to vote Bret or Shirin as they were my optimal FTC, and I felt like doing anything other than Lindsey will just burn the trust I built with Shirin and I'll lose that loyalty. Me flip-flopping near the end made me more visible and more threatening, and the only thing that gave me a shot at making the end in my eyes was banking on Shirin's loyalty till the end- which proved to be the right call and right read, as if I'd lose F4 immunity she wouldn't have voted for me. It was a risk, and I think it was the only time I didn't play thinking everyone are playing optimally, but I knew that if I'm taking this risk and that if I am right then I should be pretty much locked to make the end, and if not I'll need to make a lot of apologies to the jury. 

After Lindsey was gone I started thinking of the F6 dynamics a bit more, and I saw that leaving all the power to Shirin's hands at F5 was not something I wanted to risk, even though I did believe she would stick with me over Jacob, so I changed my mind from my original path, and even if you didn't win immunity, I'd still try to go after Jacob, hopefully at least tying it with you and Erika, and I knew I could tell to Shirin that if she was legit about doing Jacob at F5 she should just flip to us now and we take out the bigger challenge threat first. I don't think it would have burned my trust with Shirin, and I don't think any of us would risk rocks so deep in the game, so I believed that although I voted Lindsey, I still had power and agency to dictate the vote at F6 as well. I didn't have an exact plan since a lot of it relied on who wins immunity as well- but my ideal target since the start of this round was Jacob.
Jay liked this

Wendell

• Delos Tribe

Delos Tribe
By Bret
Hi Jay, I appreciate the question. So, the thing I first want you to know is that my game and personal conversations in Stranded are separate. I hope that it is recognizable that I saw your strengths early on in the game and that I enjoyed our time getting to know each other personally. I hope you can see that this day is the day for my honesty and truth so that all my game decisions can be explained.

To start off, The Michaela thing, yes you are right, and I had bad timing with wanting you out. I realized that you were somebody who could be needed in my game. It ended up working out well for me pretty early on as there were 40 players. I did not want to be threatening before the merge with the number of players we had.  I was also able to keep using your name as somebody I worked with in the past. It got me closer with Wendell, which then got me closer with Jacob. Also surviving TC after TC with those relationships.

I also saw how the goat title was starting to corollate with name, which not something I wanted to be seen as. The goat title made me realize that I needed to eventually take control of my game. By the time we met back up together at the merge, I was seen as a goat to you by many. I also knew if you were in the end with me and I voted with you the entire game that would make me the biggest goat of them all.  To me breaking away from you was the opposite of cowardly. The votes always showed where I stood for my game, and I needed to lie to create false hope which kept people at least somewhat hopeful with me. It kept me in the game.

I can see how the Jacob vote may be confusing to you, but Jacob was a really good player! He was good in challenges like you said. I ended voting a lot of people with him that were good for both our games. My thought process is that the jury would see Jacob similar to how they view me with you to where I was goat. Jacob was also better in comps than me. I wanted to be responsible for myself even further by taking out two people who I was seen at goats to. I also know my name was potentially brought up F6 and F5 but I had the idol and won the following immunity challenge to secure my move in taking out others who could have taken responsibility for my game.

Even further though, I would like to note that I voted correctly the past 7 votes except partly for the Will vote. Even with all of the distrust, I was still able to find other relationships to be on the right side of the past 7 votes this late in the game. Will although was a tie, and I was one of the people that switched that got him out of the game.

I can also see why people think I was working so tightly with Wendell mid to late game. Which yes, I never truly saw him as a threat to my game since he was not the one holding me to a goat title directly with me. There were times to where he wasn't open with me or vice versa and we voted differently. For example, voting Jacob and the time where he flipped on the "crete" alliance. The person I mainly was working with though was Shirin mid to late game. I thought many people would come to her and we both could use each other. I brought up the plan to get rid of Jacob and you and convinced people to vote that way. It not only dropped my goat title indefinitely, but it also showed I can control some votes too. 

I also would like to note that it was not a lie that Jacob and Wendell both wanted you out. I did too tbh. I know that plans were mentioned to take you out sooner than expected. I also was asked to do three separate F3 with you, Jacob, and Wendell. Which I all agreed to and then over time eventually told all of you about it. I always made sure to tell at specific times too so it would hit at the right moment to motivate one another to eventually take each other out. And that night, you and Jacob got into that fight. It worked. That was my plan I created to prevent a goat title at the F3.

In the end, all of these lies were necessary because I needed to do them to be seen as my own player and to create a false hope. I needed to create them for my game. Maybe some people picked up on it, but people were still depending on me with votes. I also know I was not easy to work with and I am sorry if it was taken personally, but I hope you can understand I would not have won with you, Jacob or in the case of any other jury member sitting here. I did the best I could for myself the entire game. I hope you can see that and also see the responsibility I had for the past 7 votes.

Bret

• Delos Tribe

Delos Tribe
By Jay
Thanks for your answers so far!! Again, loved getting to know you guys this season. And Shirin just answer when you can, we've got plenty of time. 

Jay

• Jury